Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A helpful crafting tip


Hi Everyone, first I'd like to say that I'm sorry for the darkness of the pictures. But with my flash it kinda washed them out and you couldn't see the designs. I absolutely love to add texture to my cards through embossing folders. Well, I have them all stored together in a handy traveling case with extra space for the ones I get in the future. The only problem was, I'd finish my cards and then I'd say, "Darn, why didn't I emboss that piece." Well, I didn't emboss it because they are neatly stored away in their case out of my sight.
You all know how it goes, outta sight, outta mind.
So what I did, was get a 12 X 12 size of plain white cardstock. I cut 4 inch strips then I cut each strip at 3 inches. On the back I wrote the name of each folder and who I bought it from, encase someone would ask where they could get that folder in the future. Then I flipped them over and ran each one through my big shot. I used my half inch circle punch, to put a hole in the corner of each rectangle. I tried using my crop-i-dile, but the hole just wasn't big enough to give me the flexibility and space I wanted. So now I've got a nice size rectangle that I can see and lay on my projects to decide which embossing folder I want to use. There's even enough room to put two side by side so I can decide which one I like best, without having to take them off of the ring. Taking them off of the ring would just give my little girl a chance to walk off with it to have something to color on or for it to fall on the floor and my dog to eat it. They hang right in front of me and now they are getting more use than ever before. I even cut some extra pieces, so when I'm ready to get more embossing folders I don't have to pull everything out and cut up more. There's never any harm in being prepared, just encase you see a new embossing folder that you can't live without. LOL
Thanks for visiting me today and happy crafting.
Sherry

16 comments:

  1. Great idea. I also forget to emboss sometimes and don't remember which ones I have. When I want to emboss I have to take them all out to try and decide which one to use. Embossing a sample like you did would be extremely helpful. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I am going to work on doing the same thing this weekend! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful idea! I know what you mean about having so many folders that you forget what you have especially when they are neatly tucked away in their storage box. I am going to have to do this. Thank you so much for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea ! thx for sharing ! Sharry, I'm in love with your story: your kids that you adopted, your healthy situation, the name of your blog, your creations.... Your blog is not only a place to get inspirational projects and/ or ideas, is also to learn about love, live..... I just can say that you and your family will be in my prayers. This world need more and more people like you !
    Loves,
    Maria Elena.-http://mariaelenaworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I think I may need to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME idea!! I am wondering.....why didn't I think of that!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    Debbie Chapman
    HeartAMZ1@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely going to use this idea! This is great.
    cropperhopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you show a photo of your handy carry case and let us know where you purchased it from....PLEASE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry, you are so darn smart. What a wonderful idea. I just setup my new craftroom & now I am going to do this with my embossing folders. Having the visual is so much better than going through all my folders to decide which one I need to us. I am going to my craftroom right now & do this. Thanks so much.
    I do have a question though, I have a blog & would it be ok with you if I posted this idea in the future, but explained that the idea was yours. Would you let me know, please? My blog is bearbottommountaindesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a simple thing, but so helpful. Thank you for sharing this with us bloggers. Just became a followr :0

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great tip!

    I am here from K. Andrew's party & your newest follower.

    Please stop by my blog & join in the fun as I work to reach my goal of 250 followers & have fun while I do it ~ http://mmdezigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a great idea. You could even make them better for wear and tear by laminating them or just placing them between two pieces of clear contact paper.

    Thanks for sharing your tip.

    cowbelleru@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea ! I'll use this idea ! Thanky you for sharing it :-) I'm a new follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea!!..Thanks for the neat idea an sharing..and for Tracy at Craft Junkie Too for telling us about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome idea ! Thanks for sharing. I too have mine neatly stored away in a shoe box and often forget I have them to until it is too late. Will try your method.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super idea.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are appreciated.
Thanks.
Sherry